Sunday, August 10, 2008

Why Read Poetry Aloud

In my reading of the Friends of William Stafford newsletter (Summer 2008), I came across a startling observation by poet Li-Young Lee about reading poetry aloud. He was responding to the question "Do you think it's important to read poetry out loud and if so, why?" (from a member of the audience at Poetry Downtown in Portland):

... I think of a poem as the musical score for the instrument that is the human voice. The human voice speak only on the exhalation breath, which is the dying breath. Because poetry packs a lot of meaning into a few short words, it could be said that reading poems aloud is about making our ever-approaching deaths more meaningful -- that reading aloud exercises our dying breath and gives it increased vitality ...

One of my favorite things to do is read poetry out loud and I especially enjoy reading William Stafford poems at our local celebration of the poet's birthday each January. Everyone in the audience has an opportunity to read one or more of Stafford's poems (or one of their own in remembrance of the poet) in front of the group of usually 25-50 people.

Years ago, I recall "practicing" reading poems I selected out loud before going to the celebration (I suppose to reduce my fear of bumbling in front of the crowd). But in recent years, I've chosen to just silently read through several poems ahead of time and select a few possibilities for my reading. At the celebration, I make my poem selection based on what feels right in the moment, go up to the lectern, look out at the audience, and read a poem aloud "for the first time." That's when I experience the vitality of the "dying breath" that Li-Young Lee described.

Do you read poetry or prose aloud to people in your life? To a large audience? Let me know your experience and your reaction to Lee's observation about reading poetry out loud.

NOTE: Li-Young Lee's newest collection is titled, Behind My Eyes. His lovely poem, To Hold, is reprinted in the Friends of William Stafford newsletter. It contains the lines "One day we'll lie down and not get up. One day, all we guard will be surrendered."

###

Share/Bookmark

No comments: